Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Thought I Lost The Desire



I just don't know how to tell y'all this......

Lately, my running desire has suffered and I thought it was gone. After I started training for my upcoming bike tour, I just didn't feel like I had the time to do both, ride and run. But a couple of weeks ago, I sat down with my planner and started planning what would be next, after the bike tour. And I decided that I may as well run another half-marathon. I wanted to get back into running on a regular basis. So, I penciled in the date of the next race and some semblance of a training schedule. I knew training for a half would get me back in running shape and maybe rekindle my love of running. So, last week I ran 3 miles. I didn't have any aha moments that made me think......this feels so good, I miss running so much and I can't wait to start back. It was just....ho hum.

This morning was another scheduled run.  Since I've been racking up the miles on the bike, I have tired legs. I was thinking, yesterday, about this scheduled run. My plan was to run 3 miles and then finish up with an hour-long bike ride. And then.....I had the thought that if I wake up tomorrow and am just too tired to run, then I'm okay with that. I've ridden a lot of miles this week. I can always start training for the half, when I get back from the bike tour. I didn't feel pressured and that was freeing.

So, bright and early this morning, like before 6 a.m., I got up and knew that I didn't have to run today, if I didn't want to. I sipped my coffee and began wondering what it feels like outside. So, I stepped onto the porch and it actually felt nice. There was a breeze blowing and the temps were in the 70's.  I had a short window of opportunity to run before the heat and humidity made me a sweaty mess. Right then and there, I got excited about how it feels to run in cooler, breezier weather and literally just about tripped myself up getting back inside to put my running clothes on. I couldn't believe how much I wanted to get out there and run.

I ran 3 miles and part of that was by the ocean.


Y'ALL! Are you ready for this? It's big! I mean, really big! I think I have my running desire back. And I am sooo happy about that! So, once my bike tour is done, I will be hitting the pavement to train for half-marathon #5......because I want to.

Oh wait, in case you were wondering.....I didn't ride the bike after my run today. I did yoga, instead.

Hoop to the Holler,

Laurie


10 comments:

  1. I wish a running bug would bite me! ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, girl! Do it, just do it! Running does a body good!

      Delete
  2. I think your mental situation did the trick. You were free of pressure - and that made the desire and the passion come back. Well done, Laurie! I wish you many happy runs and rides - whether you make it to the race or not.
    I used to run when I was younger - but my knees just don't take it anymore. When I ran it was usually on soft forest floor - I don't really like to run on pavement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carola...you're probably right. Feeling pressure is a sure fire motivation killer. A lot of runners transition to biking, you get a great workout without the pounding on your knees. I like both. Maybe you should try biking. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm still waiting for my running desire... it hasn't left me... it never found me in the first place. Brilliant to hear you're up and running (as the saying goes) Enjoy 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa, Neesie! Sometimes, all it takes is that first run. You never know what might happen. This time next year you could be running marathons.

      Delete
  4. Girl... I still miss running like nobody's business... after 33 years of it... I wish I could use somebody's good knee that doesn't love to run. ;) ENJOY IT!! for me, too... blessings and hugs ~ tanna
    ps love your little bird friends and have a great bike ride!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tanna, I'll certainly enjoy running for the both of us. Sorry to hear that you're no longer able to. Have you tried biking? Or, does that bother your knee, too? I'm excited about the bike ride. I know I'll have lots to share when I get back. Have a great weekend.

      Delete