Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Weekend Review

This past weekend at the lake, I was one miserable woman. I caught the CREEPY CRUD! I'm not sure if I caught it from Lidia, but she did have bronchitis last week. I got lots of hugs and forehead kisses, so I guess it's possible I picked up whatever bug she had. Anyway, my intention for the weekend was to continue painting. But it just wasn't happening. I was pretty much confined to the recliner with a cup of hot tea and honey in one hand and tissues in the other.....doing crazy sneezes I've never done before. Ha! I did drag myself down to the dock for a little bit Saturday and took a few pictures while L&S played and Cliff kayaked. As this is our first spring at the lake house, I'm discovering all kinds of new plants. Here's one, below. Found out from friends on Facebook that it's a Hobblebush from the Viburnum family. Never heard of it before, but it sure is pretty. Sunday, I felt even worse and pretty much slept most of the afternoon. Yesterday, there were tornado warnings not far from us at the lake, which made for some interesting lighting in the distant skies. I watched the clouds in amazement, while praying no tornadoes formed. How can something be so beautiful, yet frightening all at the same time? I was a little worried because one of the areas that was under a tornado warning was where Emily and the children live. As a matter of fact, as Cliff was headed over to Lidia's school for her awards program, he said he drove through some of the rain that was coming from that system. Thank goodness, all was well there. And in case you were wondering, Lidia got the Stellar Writing Award for 5th grade. We are so proud of her. And finally, I snapped a few photos from inside the house. Just didn't feel like going outside. From here, I will let the pictures do the talking.

Viburnum lantanoides...

....otherwise known as Hobblebush.
 
 
Lidia with one of her teachers, after receiving the Stellar Writing Award for 5th grade.
 

A few views of the patio and flower beds from the den....

The flower beds are a work in progress.
I have new hydrangeas planted down the long side of the porch. This light thingy was left by the previous owner. It just needs a couple of bolts to make it stand straight again. It's on the list.

I love the porch, but again everything here was left by the previous owner. I have plans to paint the rockers and add the new blue and white cushions I just bought for them. The fans and blinds will be replaced and I'm bringing in a cabinet to use for storage for the gobs of shoes that seem to accumulate here.

Another view from the porch....the patio is to the right.
 
And, I'll end it here with a floating lesson in progress. LOL!!
 
 
I'll be back soon. Hopefully, I feel more like myself in another day or two.
 
Talk soon,
Laurie
 

12 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you had such a miserable weekend and at the lake! It is strange to have such beauty to look at and know it's full of some scary times too! Loving your flowers and what a sweet picture of Lydia! Get well, my new friend! Happy I found your blog!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello there, Nancy! I'm glad you found my blog too. The more friends, the merrier! I'm so happy you stopped by and thank you for your sweet comments. Please come back soon. I am heading your way for a visit. Take care and have a great week!

      Delete
  2. That crud takes forever to get rid of - I escaped, but Steve still has some residue coughing despite it being 3 weeks later.

    I love that view of the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid this crud may be the long lasting one, too. Ugh! That water view is what sold us on this property. It's so peaceful there.

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry you weren't feeling well over the weekend. It is hard to get over those things this time of year....trust me--I have been fighting these things all winter. UGH

    Love the pictures- Your Lidia is SOOO cute! I can't believe how green everything is there. We have SNOW this morning-xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Diana. I think Lidia is pretty cute, too. And she is just as sweet as she is cute. Snow, still? Great day! Yeah, it's pretty green here. We've had lots of warm days and plenty of rain.

      Delete
  4. Hope you are feeling MUCH better by now, Laurie! Oh, the views... such a peaceful and beautiful spot! And, GO, LIDIA! Stellar award winner! I now you are so proud! Looking forward to seeing more of these views. ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tanna. I feel better, but still have this lingering cough. Yes, the views of the lake our wonderful. We feel so blessed to be there. We are super proud of Lidia. She may just turn out to be the writer in the family.

      Delete
  5. Wow...yay for Lidia! That's wonderful!

    Hope you feel MUCH better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betsy. We are super proud of Lidia. She has really had a great school year. And, thank you for the well wishes. I can't wait to feel like my old self. I don't get sick often, but seems like it's a doozie when I do. BTW, loved your moon shot!

      Delete
  6. What a lovely lake home you have! Looks like a marvelous place to make many happy family memories.

    So sorry to hear you caught one of those nasty germs that seem to be affecting people all over the country. Don't try to jump back into all your activities too soon or you'll have trouble shaking it completely. I know that's hard, but in the long run it will be the wisest way to go. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mama Pea! We have already made many fun memories. I will take it easy for a few more days, although I do feel much better.

      Delete