Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Texas Caviar

 Texas Caviar 

There are as many variations of this recipe online as there are food websites. But today, I want to share my version. It is one of my favorite recipes and it is totally compliant with my plant-based lifestyle. 

Ingredients:

1 cup Roma tomatoes (chopped)
1 cup cilantro (rough chopped)
1/2 jalapeño pepper (seeded and diced)
1/2 cup red onion (diced)
2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
1 can black-eyed peas (rinsed and drained)
1 can corn (rinsed and drained)
1/2 tsp. salt
juice of 1 lime


Start by chopping your Roma tomatoes.


Next give your cilantro a rough chop and dice the jalapeño, red onion and garlic.


To a bowl, add the rinsed and drained corn and black-eyed peas.


Finally, add the chopped vegetables and gently toss with salt and lime juice.

It tastes best, if you chill it for an hour or so and allow the flavors to meld. 


This recipe makes a quart jar full and will keep in the fridge for a week or so. Well, that is if you don't devour it like I do. I toss two to three tablespoons on my salads or eat it over a plain baked potato.
OMG! It's so delish!

 ********

Health Journey Update:

Today's Exercise: Walk/Run - 3 miles
Duration: 45 min.
Weight Loss: Teetering between 16 and 17 lbs.
Blood Sugars today: 91 mg/dl (before breakfast), 88 mg/dl (before lunch)
Blood Pressure: 107/70
I feel great and have tons of energy!

Have a great week y'all!

Talk soon,
Laurie

30 comments:

  1. I love that Texas Caviar! Your photos are really good too, this makes me hungry!
    Good job on your exercise and diet, I need to follow your example. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start with making yourself some Texas Caviar. Lol! I could eat it everyday.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh gosh, it is! I've already had some in my vegetable and rice bowl for dinner.

      Delete
  3. This looks super good and super easy Laurie!!
    I have never sued Cilantro...are there several types, so I don't get the wrong one?? Can I used jarred Jalapenos?
    Would celery be a good addition???
    Geesh...sorry for all the questions!!
    Great photos too!!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's both, Linda! I only know of one type of cilantro. Don't mistake it for parsley, though....yuck! Sure, jarred jalapeños are fine and I think celery would be great. I can't believe I didn't think of it. Questions are no problem...glad to help. Let me know if you make it.

      Delete
    2. I know my veg heads will love it!

      Delete
    3. I'm sure they will, too! They might like it with chips.

      Delete
  4. Wow congrats on your weight loss that's awesome!! I'm at just over 25 lbs but it feels like a ton of bricks has been lifted!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and Congratulations to you too, Debbie!

      Delete
  5. Laurie- Good for you on the 'healthy lifestyle' you are cultivating!
    My hubby's grandmother used to make this 'relish' as she called it. My hubby used to love it. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasty foods spanning generations. Awesome! 😀

      Delete
  6. Now this stuff I love. We alwasys called it "poor mans Caviar" I love using it as a chip dip!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to eat it with chips. So good! I'm having some on my salad today at lunch.

      Delete
  7. This sounds DELICIOUS! Kudos on all the improvements!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monique! It is! And filling...loaded with fiber.

      Delete
  8. Sounds amazing! Congrats on your weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad you are feeling well. I don't care for spicy food as it makes my mouth burn but some in my family love it! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, you can leave the jalapeños out and the onions, too....if you wanted to try it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Congrats on your healthy lifestyle stats! Good job! This recipe looks so yummy and hubby love black eyed peas so this will be fun to surprise him with! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, YaYa! I'm in awe of my results. I can't believe it took me this long to figure it out. Yes, that's what you should do....surprise Jack! I bet he'll love it.

      Delete
  11. This looks delicious.....and congrats on your stats too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anita! It is delicious. My stash is almost gone, almost time to make more.

      Delete
  12. Love me some Texas Caviar. All versions. LOL! Thanks for sharing yours! You are doing so awesome, Laurie! Keep on keeping on. And, thank you so much for your prayers. blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh girl, me too! I've already polished that batch off. Time to make some more.

      Delete
  13. Oh, Yummy-Yum! So pretty, too! Thanks for the recipe and congratulations on your weight loss and low readings! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a very interesting caviar! It looks delicious and it seems great to have now in the summer. I will try it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I make a salad similar to this, but with chickpeas. Can't always find black eyed peas here but next time I do, I'm making TX caviar. :)

    ReplyDelete