Thursday, March 23, 2017

Old Sheldon Church Ruins



Hey y'all! Sorry I'm so late getting this posted, but I think you'll find it worth it. It's no secret that I love old churches. I wish they all could be rebuilt to their former glory, but with some that is just not possible, nor practical. Thank goodness there are still some standing, for those of us who love them so much, to enjoy. I heard about the Sheldon Church ruins a couple of years ago and have just been waiting for the opportunity to go see her and capture her beauty through the lens of my camera. On Cliff's trip to Port Royal a couple of weekends ago, I finally had the opportunity to do so.


The history behind the Old Sheldon Church ruins is this..... Originally named Church of Prince William's Parish. It was primarily paid for by Lt. Gov. William Bull I, who is buried there.  Bull's grave is pictured, here, under the archway. It was often called Sheldon Church after his plantation. It was built between 1745-1755 and then partially burned by the British Army in 1779 during the American Revolution. The church's interior and roof were rebuilt in 1826. Then along came The Federal Army in 1865 and burned it again......the reason it is now called Old Sheldon Church Ruins.


I stood in awe of this majestic church, trying to imagine her congregation all those years ago. The vision of the builders blew my mind. This grand church was built in the middle of no where, basically. I can just see, in my mind's eye, the horse and buggies pulling through the gates and the church people walking through the grand doors to find their pew.....happy to be there to worship.



The church grounds are beautiful, also. Stately Oaks and Dogwoods grace the grounds and give it that truly southern ambience.

If you would like to visit this gorgeous piece of history, she is located near the small town of Yemassee and Beaufort, SC. I'm sure you will love it as much as I do.


Laurie

27 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a truly magnificent edifice! Thank you for sharing with us. I'll admit I couldn't live in your part of the country (I'd melt!), but the flora is beautiful, just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mama Pea. Isn't it, though! South Carolina is such a historically beautiful state. Hot as hades in the summer, yes! But, we have air conditioners. Lol!

      Delete
  2. I have not visited your part of the country and it is high on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love it, Carol. Look me up....we'll go tour some plantations together.

      Delete
  3. OH that is magnificent! Are those pillars? They almost look like smoke stacks.
    Love the trees with the moss hanging...so Southern!
    Our weather is cold again...wishing for the warmth again!
    Enjoy your weekend...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! Yes, those are pillars! They are even more grand in person. I love those oak trees, too. It's been cooler here this past week, but back in the 70's next week. Hope you enjoy your weekend, too! Heading to the cottage?

      Delete
    2. Nope...rainy few days expected. But...hope to start the water next week!!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful. I think a black and white photo of this would be perfect for a frame. It will make ya think. It has a rather gloomy yet peaceful look about it. I would love to visit Beaufort! I want to go on one of their bike tours.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! The black and white idea is a good one. You're not all that far from Beaufort....you should go. It's a beautiful area.

      Delete
  5. I have been to Beaufort, SC several times and just love it there. That is a great old building and I am like you when I am at a place like that--- I can envision what it must have been like years ago when it was in its glory days. Thanks for the tour- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana! I could day dream about it for hours. We went to a 4th of July celebration at one of the plantations one year. They shot tons of fireworks and I got so upset because all I could think about was how it must have felt to experience living through the Civil War and hearing all the gun shots and cannons. And to think this beautiful old church was burned during that time. Wow!

      Delete
  6. Fantastic shots!!!And I know I would love to visit SC.:) I know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monique! You would definitely love South Carolina, Charleston especially.

      Delete
  7. Such a beautiful place! And, you shared such beautiful photos, Laurie. We lived in Charleston (well, on James Island) when I was 2-8 years old. Two of my brothers were born there. Love SC. Thank you for sharing about this beautiful spot! blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanna! Do you go back for visits? Charleston has grown so much!

      Delete
  8. Lovely pictures, Laurie! That's a place I've always wanted to visit -- on my bucket list.

    Jim Fowler, Greenville, SC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love it Jim! That area is so pretty. I'm sure you could find a few wildflowers to photograph. But after seeing the church ruins, I bet you would most likely concentrate on it.

      Delete
  9. How lovely to see that is preserved now as a historic place. Great photos. Amazing what was accomplished all those years ago with back breaking work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great thing that someone had the forethought to preserve these old places for us to enjoy today.

      Delete
  10. How beautiful! Glad that this is reserved as a historic place.
    I would love to see Beaufort, South Carolina. I only know it because of Pat Conroy, the author, he loved it so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Beaufort is Pat Conroy's birth place.

      Delete
  11. It must have been really beautiful then, if it's this beautiful now in ruins. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't you just love to go back and see it as it was in the 1700's?

      Delete
  12. These churches fascinate me....the dogwoods and oaks are icing on the cake. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too, Anita. They are so beautiful. And, this time of year with the dogwoods blooming and soon the azaleas, is a wonderful time to visit places like this.

      Delete