Tuesday, June 28, 2016

I Picked The Garden, Today

While at the beach last week, my mind was back in the garden. I had picked it before leaving and knew there would be some cucumbers ready when I got back, but I wasn't expecting this. The garden pretty much exploded, while I was gone. HaHa! 

Seriously, I was so excited to pick the garden, today.

Finally, cabbages were ready. The beets are still very small, but a favorite blogger of mine suggested that I could pick them small and saute them and the greens...so I did. Let me just say they were delicious. Thanks for the tip, Judy! 


I also picked a huge zucchini, a squash, a tomato, several cucumbers and okra. 
I'm just so excited we're getting all these vegetables that started out kinda iffy....you know from the frost/freeze start. Patience and perseverance sure is rewarding!


I could hardly wait to get in the kitchen and cook up some deliciousness. I sauteed some cabbage, zucchini, okra, the tiny beets and beet greens in a little olive oil and garlic. And, then sliced a cucumber and tomato to round out dinner. 

Gardens sure are worth all the hard work!

Laurie

22 comments:

  1. O M G.....fantastic!
    How beautiful everything looks...love the way you photographed it!
    And....man.....that looks delish!
    Good job Laurie....so rewarding!
    Enjoy!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! My garden just makes me giddy and then I get to eat it!

      Delete
  2. It will be a while before we can pick anything from our garden. I think your produce looks amazing and very yummy! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, YaYa! I'm sure you'll be eating from it soon. Aren't you getting tons of warm weather?

      Delete
  3. Yummy AND beautifuL! Just the best thing in the world to pick food in the garden and go inside to prepare and eat it right then. So fresh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marcie! Yes, it is! There's no comparison to grocery store produce and garden fresh. Love eating right out of the garden.

      Delete
  4. You have no bugs!! Everything looks perfect..what a thrill eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monique! I did see a slug in the cabbage patch. But other than that, I haven't had any problems with bugs. Fingers crossed and knocking on wood.

      Delete
  5. So very nice! Everything looks scrumptious! There's just something about stepping into your own garden, picking veggies and preparing them for dinner. Nothing is fresher, tastier or more rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There sure isn't. And, I felt the need to cook a little of everything I picked. Lol!!

      Delete
  6. Big Yuuuuummmmm!

    Jim Fowler, Greenville, SC

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful and tasty-looking! Your hard work has paid off - there is nothing better than the taste of fresh veggies! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. I am quite proud of my little garden and it sure is rewarding me with some great produce.

      Delete
  8. Everything looks SO good! What a delicious, nutritious meal you prepared. Don't you wonder why everyone doesn't grow a garden? They must never have had the experience of tasting really fresh REAL food! (They say the very healthiest food we can put in our bodies is that grown smack dab in your own location. And I believe it!) Your garden has been such a success this year! Yayyyy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mama Pea! I do wonder why. If they could only taste a fresh, right out of the garden, cucumber....everyone of them would be planting a garden tomorrow. I am very satisfied with the garden for this first year and I know it's just going to get better. Thank you for all your encouragement and great gardening tips.

      Delete
  9. That is one good looking harvest!! Enjoy the fruits of your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! It tastes mighty good, too.

      Delete
  10. Wow, what a rich harvest!!! I wish my garden was at that point already! The only thing I got so far are two zucchinis. But it looks promising, so I will be patient.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden did much better than mine. We had lots of tomatoes but I think I planted the beets and broccoli too late (not to mention something was munching the broccoli leaves). I had to pull all of the plants out weeks ago!

    ReplyDelete