Sunday, December 13, 2015

Giving


I was just listening to Charles Stanley and he challenged me to think about giving at Christmas.

Christmas is first and foremost about Jesus. It seems as if Christmas has become so commercialized that we lose sight of that.  But we are steeped in tradition and gift giving becomes our focus. 

This is coming from one who, a few years ago, decided that it was too much. I talked my sisters and brother into stopping the exchanging of gifts at Christmas. It had become out of hand. I stressed over finding the perfect gift, all the money that was spent. When in fact, I had lost the purpose for giving.

Giving is a great thing to do. There's nothing wrong with it. It shows that we love and care for the recipient. Giving comes from within and we should do it with a grateful heart. There are so many ways that we can give, other than heading over to the mall or shopping on Amazon.

Examples of the greatest gifts of all.....

God gave us Jesus on Christmas to be the light of the world, to be our salvation. Through Mary, a woman who gave her body and reputation to bear the son of God. The Inn Keeper, who didn't have room in the inn, but gave what he had.....a stable. The Wise Men for recognizing that the Star of Bethlehem meant something significant and traveled with gifts to give the new born King.  And, Jesus' greatest gift of all, Salvation.

I'm not trying to be religious, I just feel compelled to share this simple message with you. I want to tell you what Jesus means to me. I've never had a truer friend. He's my source of peace and comfort and He's my source of strength. We talk every day. He has been with me through all my happy times and not so happy times. He's been with me through many trials and heartaches. And yes, there will be trials in your life. We are not promised a perfect life, but that Jesus will be with us as we go through those trials. I gave my life to Jesus when I was 12 years old. I heard the Gospel of Jesus from a dear sweet lady at Sunday school and I knew that I knew that I knew, that what she was telling me was the truest, most real message I had ever heard. I gave my heart to God that day and I remember in the days afterwards that I had such a deep, profound love for Him....one that I could not explain. It was real, the Gospel was real, God was real and living in my heart. Through the years, I have gone through many sad times, had many trials and times when the only way I could get up and go was because of God living in my heart. And, I have also experienced the most peace, joy and happiness that I could ever hope for. I'm just keeping it simple and real, y'all.

If someone out there reading this blog has never experienced salvation, if you don't have a personal relationship with the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, then I ask you....what are you waiting for? It's simple. You don't have to be good enough. Jesus will meet you right where you are. He's waiting for your invitation. You just simply BELIEVE in your heart that Jesus is Lord, ask Him to FORGIVE you of your sins and SURRENDER your life to him. If you do this, Jesus will write your name in the Lamb's Book of Life and will prepare a home for you in Heaven. What greater gift can one ask for?


Laurie

1 comment:

  1. Laurie, Thank you for this post...some times we truly forget the first gift. I like to talk about bay Jesus to the little kids. Lets' get them started early. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete