Sunday, June 7, 2015

Seaside Sunday


It was absolutely a gorgeous day on the beach, today. There were only a few small puffy clouds overhead and there was a wonderful breeze blowing in off the ocean. The summer crowd is starting to roll in. Lakewood is not full yet, but as more and more schools are starting summer break, it won't take long. Normally, I wait until late afternoon to go out on the beach...mostly because of the heat and during the peak summer months you will be hard pressed to find a spot on the beach to call our own. And then if it's high tide, you might as well lay out in the sand dunes. Although, I wouldn't recommend that. You might find yourself spending a little time in the pokie. Anyway, since it was so nice and I've been craving some beach time, I took my chances. Well, it was high tide, but the crowd is not here yet so I found a little spot in the sand and it was awesome. Here are some photos I took with my phone. Thought you might like to see a little Seaside this Sunday.....

I parked my chair by these Lakewood rentals.
Some good shade there, if you need it.
 
South facing view.
As you can see, there are still bare spots in the sand.
I predict in another couple of weeks, there will be wall to wall chairs and umbrellas.

The tide was high midday. It always pushes the crowd back near the sand dunes.

The water is still a little too cool to go swimming, at least for me.
But there are a few brave souls out there.

North facing view.
Myrtle Beach is just beyond those umbrellas and chairs.
 
Wish you were here!
Laurie
 
 
 


10 comments:

  1. Boy, does that look nice! It's been too long since I've had my toes in some sand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you must remedy that, Betsy! Pack up the Mister and the boys and head to Myrtle Beach. We can hang out!

      Delete
  2. I think that was a common sight around the country with so many schools out. Our beach was packed with families enjoying the sun.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. Hope you have a great week, too! Yes, the all too familiar sights and sounds of summer....giggling children and crashing waves. Lots of summer fun.

      Delete
  3. The beach looks so inviting and relaxing. I'm happy that you had such a nice day and beat the summer break crowd:)
    Have a lovely week.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie, it was very relaxing. I even dozed off for a few minutes. :)

      Delete
  4. What a nice beach! But I would be likely to stay away as all the more people start to show up. I guess that's what I get for living in the boonies. (Yes, you could say I've been in the woods too long!) :o]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mama Pea, late afternoon is definitely better. Less crowded.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pictures, Laura! I wish I were there too. I watched what I suppose you would call a documentary yesterday on PBS about the evolution of Myrtle Beach and surrounding area(beaches), etc. I was amazed to see how much it has changed over the years and especially since the early 70's. There was somewhat of an environmental "spin" on the presentation with some mention of how tourism, including the construction of high-rises and golf courses with run-off, etc. I can see how that would affect the sea creatures and wildlife since so many people now flock to the area, not just for summer vacation but all year round. Hopefully, they are now striving to maintain a balance as any seaside is such a beautiful example of what God has graciously given us to take pleasure in. I enjoyed your post! Have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a problem with run-off from one of the business a couple of summers ago. The authorities were asking people to stay out of the water. That went on for a week or so. I think they have it under control now. The thing that gets me is not so much the businesses, although they have just about taken over, but how badly the beaches are littered with cigarette butts and trash. The poor shore birds try to eat the cigarette butts. It's gross. People that visit are not respecting our beaches. I just want to shake them!

      Delete