Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Post Pax

Live Oak thinned by the Ice Storm

It's been a week now since Winter Storm Pax graced us with it's presence down south. Remember, we had ice and freezing temperatures. And then today, the high is supposed to be 79 degrees F. It's 77 now and is a nice change, for sure. I love winter weather, as you know, but even I was ready for a little warm up.

Day one of the ice storm and just minutes after losing power, I was actually having a good time. I jotted these notes down so that I could remember them later, when posting about it. But now, I've decided to just give you a few bulleted points. I'm so over this storm.

ice in trees
pine limbs breaking all around
freezing rain
Cliff went to work
home alone
power went off about 11:30 a.m.
phone battery low
put on car charger
started a fire in fireplace
hungry, want something hot....it figures
heat dumplings in fireplace
lunch ready soon
I'm having a ball
Pioneer Woman

We were without power for six days. Yes, we lost everything from the fridge. It took me a few hours to chunk everything and then wash the fridge/freezer from top to bottom. I put a spit shine on that thing like you wouldn't believe. My yard still needs a little work. With this gorgeous weather, clean up will be a breeze. Mama is still without power. Hopefully, it will be restored this week. We still have a large pile of debris to remove from her yard. And we're already getting quotes to repair her roof.

So much going on!

The carpet installers were just getting started good when the ice storm hit, and now that our power is back on they are back and hopefully finishing installation today. I'm so ready for that to be over, too. Although I am happy about getting new carpet in the bedrooms, having people in my home making a mess, causes me stress. I like things neat and tidy and organized. I'll be spending the next couple of days putting things back like they were, I'm sure.

I'm done with this story. It's time to move on.

What's new on the horizon? Well, let me just tell you. We will be adding on an exercise room. I'm so excited. We met with the contractor yesterday. Yay! This time, I won't have to deal with them in my house so much.....until they bust through the wall to make an opening from the family room to the exercise room. I better stock up on Advil for that one. We are planning to use the same contractor that did our kitchen remodel, so there should be some good stories to come out of that. They're a hoot.

I see Spring quickly approaching around here. Soon, it will be time to start a garden and pull out the lawn mower. Good days ahead for sure.

Does this post feel disjointed to you or like I'm rambling? Oh well, I'll shape up before the next one (no pun intended)....it's an exercise post. Ha! And....and.....my spell-checker has gone MIA. I hope you don't find any misspelled words. I hate that! Just be forewarned, ok.

And in case you were wondering:
I ran my first 9 mile trail run Saturday. I'll have that post ready soon.

Until then,
Laurie

10 comments:

  1. Superior bummer about being without power for six days! I'd be nuts. Hope your mom gets her power back soon and I'm glad to hear that everyone is OK. Very awesome about the exercise room and your nine mile run! Can't wait to hear about it. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurie, I know how it is to be without power for so many days. We went 12 days once and also lost everything from the fridge and freezer. We have a generator now and that really helps. So exited for you with the new carpet and the room addition. It will be wonderful. Your own private gym right at home.
    Hope your mom gets her power back soon. Congrats on your trial run. That is really an accomplishment even before the real run.

    Have a great rest of the week. Stay calm!!
    Thanks for stopping by too.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being without power for a long time is awful! It happened to us when my kids were babies. Horrible! I thought my husband was going to go out of his mind. We have a generator but what a pain it is to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we don't lose power ever but we've had freezing temps and snow for what seems like forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We, further south and toward the coast, know how you feel. My brother and SIL survived Andrew in Homestead and did without power from August until December, in Florida heat. Cold adds another whole dimension, doesn't it. So glad all of you are safe and now warm! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll put up with our piles of snow and super freeze temps over losing power. I hate when that happens! I'm glad you're back to normal and good luck on the new exercise room! Lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Laurie, thanks for visiting my blog and I'm so glad you enjoyed your first trail run! 9 miles is a long way to run on trails for the first time. You will be using different muscles in your feet and ankles. I love the trails and try to run once a week on them. I wear New Balance trail shoes but they are minimal shoes, and you need to work up to them before you can do long runs in them. I'm looking forward to spring weather as well. Our mountains have been receiving a lot of snow the last week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the trail run! That's fantastic! Looking forward to Spring as well! xoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. 6 days without energy??? That must be really tough! I can't imagine how that would be...
    I can't wait to hear everything about the trail run!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have our emergency stash for times like these. After reading your post I feel a strong need to go check it.

    ReplyDelete